LitLinks for Aug. 9, 2019
This week the life of a literary great expired. We say goodbye to Toni Morrison.
At the bottom of this post is a special collection of remembrances from others. I tried to include most of the best of what I saw.
Is there an article or tribute about Morrison you read that I didn’t include? Paste it as a link in the comments and I’ll check it out.
If you read one thing I share with you this week, make it this interview with Well-Read Black Girl founder Glory Edim.
Also this week I started reading Ta-Nehisi Coates’s Between the World and Me. And while I haven’t yet read this Vanity Fair profile of the writer, it’s on my weekend TBR list.
By the way, if you enjoy this post, please consider sharing it with others. Thank you!
[responsivevoice_button voice=”US English Female” buttontext=”Listen to This Post”]
This and That
- You and your canine friend can join authors such as Emma Straub and Gilbert King a this “pup-up” reading room in Brooklyn.
- Timekeeping used to be only for the rich. Then Mark Twain endeavored to bring watches to the masses.
- The Fault in Our Stars author John Green has a new podcast in which he rates, um, things.
- This organization turns vacant lots in Cleveland into children’s book scenes.
- Here’s a peek at how Jean Kwok chose the three narrators for the audiobook version of her novel, Searching for Sylvie Lee.
- Rapper Noname has a book club.
Youthink your cat has an attitude? Here are the meanest cats in literature.
- I posted about books as art earlier this week. And now this article on book DIY wall art.
- Looking for your next book? Ann Patchett’s bookstore lists 25 books for you to consider.
- All of Reese Witherspoon’s book recommendations in one place.
- If non-fiction is more your jam, here are 17 non-fiction books.
- Love Orange
isthe New Black? Then you may enjoy these books.
- Hey plant lovers, here are 15 books for you.
New Book News
- Hillary and Chelsea Clinton are releasing a book of Gutsy Women.
- Author Kristin Hamel, whose novel The Winemaker’s Wife is released in the U.S. on Tuesday, is celebrating Canadian success.
- The “Angelina Ballerina” picture books are coming back.
- Here are seven new books coming out this month.
- And the Goodreads editorial team lists their most-anticipated August releases.
- This article asks, are Instagram poems legit?
- Poet Bob Hicock complains that no one cares about white male poets anymore, and Timothy Yu rebuts.
- Valentino Creative Director Pierpaolo Piccioli and poet Yrsa Daley Ward are combining handbags and poems.
- A visit to the Poet’s Corner in San Francisco’s Ina
Goodbye, Toni Morrison
- Tayari Jones Shares an Appreciation of Toni Morrison – NPR
- Remembering Toni – The Paris Review
- How Toni Morrison Changed Fiction – New York Daily News
- Oprah Reacts to Toni Morrison’s Death – The Oprah Magazine
- Toni Morrison and What Our Mothers Couldn’t Say – The New Yorker
- The Freedom of Toni Morrison – Georgetowner
- Toni Morrison Remembered by Poet Kwame Alexander – NPR
- How Toni Morrison Changed Me as an 18-Year-Old Author – Teen Vogue
- Remembering Toni Morrison’s ‘beautiful human urgency’ – PBS Newshour
- The Magnitude of Toni Morrison – The Atlantic
- Don’t Call Toni Morrison a Poet – The New York Times
- Toni Morrison’s Language of Love – The Village Voice
- Canadian Poets On the Legacy of Toni Morrison – CBC
- How Toni Morrison Changed My Life – Read It Forward
- Tribute to Toni Morrison – PEN America
- Toni Morrison’s First Opera Made Its Debut in Detroit – Detroit Free Press
- 7 Metro Phoenix Creatives Share Reflections on Writer Toni Morrison – Phoenix New Times
- Toni Morrison’s Lasting Legacy on Hilton Head Island – WSAV
- Howard University Mourns Iconic Author Toni Morrison, a Star Alumna – WJLA
- Also, Toni Morrison’s Impact on Sullivan’s Island – Charleston City Paper
Toni Morrison Reading Guides
- The Essential Toni Morrison Reader – The New York Times
- Where to Start If You Haven’t Read Enough of Toni Morrison’s Books – TIME
- EW’s Guide to 15 Brilliant, Essential Toni Morrison Books – Entertainment Weekly
- The Toni Morrison Syllabus – The Ringer